In 1930, Allen-White High School was established. It was named for Jessie Christopher Allen (1864-1921) and James Herbert White, the force behind the school. Mr. White was called the “Maker of the school”.
Allen-White was the only African American high school in Hardeman County until 1960. Pupils came from all parts of the county. Many of them were boarding students.
James Herbert White was principal from 1930-1948, and under his leadership the school grew and prospered. The year 1933 produced the first graduating class from the four year, accredited Allen-White High school. Of the thirteen graduates of that class, ten enrolled in college.
From 1933 until 1970, Allen-White sent graduates all over the United States and abroad. Though products of the so called, separate but equal system, these graduates can be found in all walks of life, able to compete and making worthwhile contributions in this modern, global society.
Allen-White’s influence will be felt by generations yet unborn because their lives, too, will touch and be touched by someone who, too was touched by someone who attended Allen-White High School.
— Mr. Evelyn Robertson
You may also view photos of the Principals of Allen-White School, here.